lost public key

vedaal@lok.com vedaal@lok.com
Wed Oct 23 21:32:01 2002

>From: Brian Minton <bminton@efn.org>
>Subject: Re: I lost my public key! :(

>On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:33:44PM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> Unlike many "lost key" situations, you're not completely out of
> luck.  All OpenPGP secret keys have a copy of the public key
> inside them, and in a worst-case scenario, you can create
> yourself a new public key using the secret key.  Some versions
> of PGP, in fact, do this automatically when you import a secret
> key.

>ok, I tried this, and not only did it fail, it crashed gnupg
>1.2.0 and pgp freeware version 6.5.8ckt Build: 08...

ckt build 8 cannot recognize the new secret key format introduced in 1.0.7
but ckt 9 beta (1,2, and 3) does, and will automatically generate the public key when importing the secret key

you can confirm this on ckt build 8, by generating a test key in gnupg, while
using the option of '--simple-sk-checksum'
and then import only the private key to ckt build 8,

hth,
vedaal