AW: E-Mail Encryption: Why Isn't Everyone Doing It?

Huels, Ralf SCORE Ralf.Huels@schufa.de
Thu Oct 24 11:51:02 2002

Adam Enrodi wrote:
> I think that's the point.  I often observed while talking to my
> friends (evan from the DCS) and the subject comes to computer
> security they *always* argue "Oh come on, why on earth should
> anyone bother reading my documents?", "I have no sensitive data"
> or "How would they know about me?".

I work for a credit bureau. You better believe there's lot's of stuff that
we can't send by e-mail. You'd be surprised how many customers
expect us to send consumer data via mail without giving thought to
encryption. We don't, of course. After all we're talking about credit
profiles and stuff like that here.

I shudder at the thought of how little even some people who
professionally handle sensitive data are aware of e-mail security issues.

Tschuess,
Ralf