E-Mail Encryption: Why Isn't Everyone Doing It?

Kai Raven k.raven@freenet.de
Thu Oct 24 17:58:03 2002

Hello Graham,

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:52:57 +0100 you wrote:

> Well now, why is it that in Windows GPGShell can provide this as soon
> as a new version of GnuPG comes out?  And it is a complete interface:
> through it you can directly alter the options, give extra commands, do
> key management, and encrypt and sign in windows on which you have the
> focus.  Indeed, the lack of anything similar in Linux made me consider
> for some time whether I should move over and I am sure that many
> people migrating to Linux from Windows won't use GPG because it does
> not have this kind of interface despite being bundled with every
> distro that I am aware of.

You are right, unfortunately, all GnuPG shells under Linux, say GPA or
Seahorse are out-of-date and provide only a very small choice to use all
the options, commands etc.with a 'click' ;)
But on the other side, all MUAs under Linux have a good support for all
necessary GnuPG functions and for the rest i think, the most Linux users
are using the shell or scripts so the most of them don't need any GnuPG
GUI like WinPT or GPGshell. You are switching from Windows to Linux?
You have to learn & love the console - sooner or later ;o))

Ciao
Kai

--
WWW:http://kai.iks-jena.de/