E-Mail Encryption: Why Isn't Everyone Doing It?

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Fri Oct 25 18:46:01 2002

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 11:49:14AM +0200, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 00:06, Anthony E. Greene wrote:
>
> [SSL works most of the time, because configured defaults are ok]
>
> > The fact is that WoT does not work well in a mass market deployment
> > scenario.  Most people do not need the features that the WoT provides.
> > Some people do need those features, but most people don't, at least not
> > most of the time.
>
> [damn, what is WoT? For me it'll always be Wheel of Time ;-]
>
> OpenPGP works with a hierarchical trust structure equally well as with a
> peer2peer Web of Trust. Perhaps a good way to improve userfriendliness
> of pgp frontends would be to include and trust the keys of a few pgpcas
> by default.

Well, my key comes with GnuPG... if anyone finds themselves near
Cambridge, Massachusetts in the US, I'd be glad to sign their key.

There was talk about a email based robot CA a few months ago.  It
would check only the email address (by sending a challenge).  An
interesting idea, if done right.

David