automated userid certifications (was Re: E-Mail Encryption: Why Isn't Everyone Doing It?)

Jason Harris jharris@widomaker.com
Sat Oct 26 01:09:01 2002

--Izn7cH1Com+I3R9J

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 01:32:26PM -0400, David Shaw wrote:

> The basic idea was a web form where a user could paste their key or an
> email address to send it the key to.  The program would then email a
> challenge string to each email address on the key.  If the challenge
> came back signed by the user's key, then the program would sign that
> user ID with its own key.

(NB:  http://biglumber.com/ doesn't sign keys, and AIUI there aren't any
plans for it to, but it does verify email addresses via challenge/response
now.)

Instead of trying to keep track of PGP keys making userid certifications
in automated systems, would a new signature class (0x14 - email address
verified via challenge/response) be advisable?  I've already issued
a few 0x12 (casually checked) signatures instead of 0x13 (carefully
checked) signatures to handle this situation...

> first came up.  I happen to have a bit more free time nowadays (I'm

(Are you sure you should be admitting to this?  :)

--=20
Jason Harris          | NIC:  JH329, PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
jharris@widomaker.com | web:  http://jharris.cjb.net/

--Izn7cH1Com+I3R9J

--Izn7cH1Com+I3R9J--