Multiple keyring support

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Tue Oct 29 16:03:02 2002

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 09:33:27AM -0800, rabbito@san.rr.com wrote:

>     I was just looking through the archives because I was interested in
> having multiple keyrings.  It seems like a loss of functionality came
> about from 1.0.6 to 1.0.7+.  Was this intentional?  Is there another way
> to:
>
>     - have default imports and verifies dump the keys in to a default
>       catch all keyring.
>
>     - be able to override (on the command line) default imports and
>       verifies into a specific keyring file.
>
>     - override the keyring to use on the command line.
>
>     - list the contents of the pubring.gpg first when using --list-keys

Try this: in your gpg.conf file, specify the additional keyring only:

  keyring catch-all.gpg

Make your current keyring readonly:

  chmod a-w pubring.gpg

Now you still have the current pubring listed first in key listings,
but new keys go to the catch-all ring.  To override, restore
writability to pubring.gpg.

(I'm not saying this is necessarily optimal, but it does give you what
you want).

David