Determining the trust path to a particular key

Julian T J Midgley jtjm@xenoclast.org
Wed Oct 30 02:42:01 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Richie Laager wrote:

> I've heard of gpgwww. Jason Harris runs it on his keyserver. The URL
> below will trace the path between my key and yours, for example.
> http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/gpgwww.cgi?from=0x5E1F1BCE&to=0xBCC
> 7863F
>
> Since trust paths do not have to be symmetrical, the trust path in
> the opposite direction can differ. The path between our keys is like
> this for example. To trace the path from your key back to mine,
> simply reverse the arguments:
> http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/gpgwww.cgi?from=0xBCC7863F&to=0x5E1
> F1BCE

Thanks, that's the sort of thing I was looking for, but as you say, it
would be really useful to be able to run it on your own keyring honouring
the trust levels you assign.

Since the update-trustdb algorithm for gnupg must perform all the
necessary calculations, I'd have thought that it shouldn't have been too
difficult to modify the same algorithm to trace the path to a particular
key (theoretically, anyway ;-) ).

> I don't know about running this locally.

Do you know if the source for gpgwww.cgi is available anywhere?

All the best,

Julian

--