Multiple keyring support

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Wed Oct 30 15:22:01 2002

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 11:46:07PM +1100, David Clarke wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, David Shaw wrote:
> > Now you still have the current pubring listed first in key listings,
> > but new keys go to the catch-all ring.  To override, restore
> > writability to pubring.gpg.
> >
> > (I'm not saying this is necessarily optimal, but it does give you what
> > you want).
>
> It's certainly not as nice as it used to be, especially when you want to
> move or update keys.  I'd be interested in hearing why the behavior
> changed.

I'm not sure why it changed.  Werner would have to say.

I am interested in the problem though.  It seems to me that the 1.0.6
behavior is just as "bad" as the 1.0.7 - it's just different and
easier to work around to get what you want.  In 1.0.6, a user is
forced to put the catchall keyring last.  What if the user wants it
somewhere else?

What if there was a way to flag a particular keyring (from either
gpg.conf or the command line) as the default one, and that keyring
became the one that new keys were imported into?  Would that solve
everyone's problem?

David