gnupg 1.0.7 compiled for Windows

Ed Suominen general@eepatents.com
Mon Sep 2 07:48:01 2002

Sorry for being blunt, but the attitude Eugen Leitl expressed (shared by
many others) is one of the biggest turnoffs to "outsiders" now looking
at the free software community as an alternative to the Redmond,
Washington "beast." Which is doing more to get free software in front of
the actual *users* and business decisionmakers: (1) telling users who
don't know (or care) what a compiler is to just go build it themselves,
or (2) distributing the binaries for use on an OS that (for better or
for worse) people are actually *using*?

Perhaps it's good to remember that the ultimate destination for all
software, free or not, is on the computer of an *end user*. That person,
in all likelihood, doesn't much care what Richard Stallman thinks or
consider Microsoft inherently evil. He or she is going to switch to free
software (and thus help the movement crawl out of the pizza-stained
developer's den) because it has some benefit, in costs or features.

And I say all this as the author of both an open-source software package
and an OSI-approved license for that software.

I guess the flames will start now, but I felt it needed to be said...

\--- http://www.eepatents.com -----------------/