(OT?)Re: gnupg 1.0.7 compiled for Windows

markus_kampkoetter markus_kampkoetter@t-online.de
Tue Sep 3 19:48:04 2002

Anthony E. Greene schrieb:

> On 02-Sep-2002/19:11 +0200, markus_kampkoetter
>  <markus_kampkoetter@t-online.de> wrote:
> >> (...)
> >> I personally think that a sudden influx of clueless proprietary software
> >> users would considerably harm the community, while not actually helping
> >> the users migrate. Looks clearly lose/lose to me.
> >
> >donīt be affraid, there will not be any sudden influx of clueless
>  proprietary
> >software users because "we" normally do not know enough about computers
>  and/or
> >computing to invade suddenly the wide terrain of free software. even if,
>  what
> >would be the harm?
>
> Too many clueless users do not make an effort to get a clue before posting
> a question to the hundreds/thousands of list subscribers. Sometimes the
> answer is in a FAQ or README. Sometimes a Google search using the exact
> error message turns up an answer.

just imagine somebody who needs to learn exactly this
but its not necessarrily windows or lets say proprietary software users that
behave this way (i hope its not in the genes, is it?)  8-\

> The aggregate effect is that people who kow enough and are willing to take
> the time to answer start becoming less willing. The signal to noise ratio
> becomes too high and people find other things to do.

i am not sure, but to me it seems to be easier to mail an url or something than
to elaborate large texts to scare somebody new to the theme - and takes less
time. btw, the signal to noise ratio on this list related to this item is so
high not because of the simple question somebody posted but because of the
reaction(s) (including this one). we are all part of the game. that is why i
will not continue this discussion via the list but still appreciate the help i
can get from people who know more than i do and share their knowledge for free,
thank you.

> Tony

markus (c: