Is there a way to decrypt, but not decompress ?

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Tue Sep 10 09:07:02 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 01:21:54 -0400, Jason S Mantor said:

> I'm just blue skying here, but it would save
> me a lot of hastle if I could decrypt and check the sig
> on an archive but not decompress the message.  When

No, this is not possible.  The data is signed, then compressed, the
encrypted. To check the signature we need to decompress it.
Furthermore the compression protocol is partly OpenPGP specific.

> we ship data up to our mainframe we sometimes have
> bandwidth issues and moving the compressed message
> would help me there.  Is this possible from the GPG

Something like:

gpg <foo.gpg | gzip | send

should help.  Afaik, gzip is available for Windows and I bet also for
MVS or whatever you are running on the mainframe.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner