Changing "main" user ID

Mark Kirchner mail@mark-kirchner.de
Fri Sep 13 18:38:01 2002

Hello,

On Friday, September 13, 2002, 6:11:46 PM, David wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 05:54:41PM +0200, Johan Almqvist wrote:
>> [changing main id]
>
> In GnuPG 1.0.7 there is a "primary" command in the --edit menu.  Just
> select the user ID that you want to be primary.

I don't know about the original poster, but sometimes I would like to
change the "main id" of keys that I don't own. (I know, no real need
to do that; call it aesthetical reasons :-) The "primary" command
responds with "Need the secret key to do this" when I try that.
(v1.1.92)

I assume that the "main id" has no particular relevance (for the key /
encryption / security) so that changing it would just be a cosmetical
thing. Am I missing something?

Regards,
Mark Kirchner

--