GnuPG and Windows Registry variables

Ryan Malayter rmalayter@bai.org
Mon Sep 16 20:35:02 2002

From: Werner Koch [mailto:wk@gnupg.org]=20
>Done.  However, lacking an NT system I can't=20
>test this for myself. There will be a new=20
>snapshot this week.

I tested this on NT4 Sp6, Win2k Sp2, and WinXP sp1. Expansion of
REG_EXPAND_SZ variables is working in 1.1.92 - thanks Werner! One minor
tweak is needed, I think: variable expansion only works for keys in the
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER" hive. Most Windows applications search
HKEY_CURRENT_USER for a configuration value, and if they don't find it,
look for a global setting under the same key in HKEY_CURRENT_MACHINE. I
think GnuPG should probably work the same way.

That way you can set up a REG_EXPAND_SZ variable
HomeDir=3D"%APPDATA%\GnuPG" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE that will work for all
users. But this default HomeDir value could still be overridden and
customized by each indiviudal user if desired.

Thanks for all your efforts,

Ryan Malayter
Sr. Network & Database Administrator
Bank Administration Institute
Chicago, Illinois, USA
PGP Key: http://www.malayter.com/pgp-public.txt
There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well
please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take
the consequences.
     - PJ O'Rourke=20