Compiling GPG source

Ian McIntosh ianm@cat.co.za
Thu Sep 19 17:03:01 2002

Hi,

I have recently compiled GnuPG version 1.0.6 source for Windows using
Borland Command line compiler. Granted I had to make a few changes here and
there but it did eventually compile. The reason I used BCC is I use it for
other programs and wanted to compile with it rather that the other options I
have seen mentioned like MINGW32 and cygwin. My problem is that my compiled
version appears to function but I don't know if its working properly. You
see I have downloaded the pre-compiled binary for Windows (version 1.0.6)
for www.gnupg.org and am using this for comparison. To check if everything
works I generated a key-pair using the gnupg.org binary and the veiwed this
key-paier using gpg --list-keys. I then did gpg --list-keys with my newly
compiled BCC version to see if the keys were displayed.

This worked fine only that the key-pair displayed by the gnupg
binary --list-keys option was different to the key-pair displayed by the BCC
compiled version. Furthermore I could only encrypt using the gnupg binary
and the BCC version would spit out an error

gpg: **********: skipped: unusable public key
gpg: c:\dvs\gnupg\encrypt_tmp: encryption failed: unusable public key

Now if I genrate a key-pair using the BCC gpg. I can encrypt fine, but the
gnupg binary will not encrypt giving the same error as above.

I am a bit confused as to why this would happen. Any help would be much
appreciated.

Thanks
Ian