Lost passphrase

Fabio Coatti cova@ferrara.linux.it
Mon Sep 23 15:33:01 2002

Il 19:01, domenica 22 settembre 2002, Nick ha scritto:
> I searched through the FAQ and newsgroups, but to no avail.
>
> I have my secret key, but not the passphrase. Is my only option a
> brute-force attack on the passphrase? Can GnuPG be modified to ignore the
> passphrase?
>
> I just want to generate a revocation certificate for an old key that I am
> no longer using.
>
> Please cc me any response, and thanks in advance.
>
> Nick

No way. Obviously, the passphrase is here just to avoid that someone gets the
secret key. Otherwise the passphrase will have no meaning at all. If you have
chosen a good passphrase, you're out of luck. Time to create a new keypair, I
fear.

--
Fabio Coatti       http://www.ferrara.linux.it/members/cova
Ferrara Linux Users Group           http://ferrara.linux.it