--pgp2 option asumes CAST5 by default?

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 23 21:32:01 2002

Hello,

When decrypting a file with gpg 1.2.0 that was conventionally encrypted
with pgp 2.6.3ia, I typed gpg --pgp2 file.pgp. To my surprise, I saw "gpg:
assuming CAST5 encrypted data", which of course resulted in "gpg: decryption
failed: bad key". To decrypt it I had to use "gpg --pgp2 --cipher-algo=idea
file.pgp".

Why this strange default? I know of only one pgp2 version that understands
CAST5, most use only IDEA, and I have the idea module compiled into the gpg
executable.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html