Newbie question

Sean M McMahon ambassadorsean@juno.com
Mon Sep 23 23:56:01 2002

----__JNP_000_7e36.3fcf.0611

        Hi,

        I asked a question a week or so ago about using gpg to move a
customer's credit card information over the web. I was gifted with the
first actually well written explanation that I have seen throughout my
quest to find answers to my problem, which has been carried out in over a
dozen e-mails to my web host's tech support people who obviously have no
idea what they're doing or what they're talking about.

        Basically, I have a web host (ventures online is my host's name),
a web site, and a shared SSL server. I have a form which contains
personal information, including credit card numbers, which is on the SSL
server...but I need to know what to do to get the results of the form.
Tech support told me to download GnuPGP for some reason which still
escapes me (and apparently, escapes them too), hence the fact that I am
writing in to this list.

        Mark Kirchner mentioned that the data has to travel through the
following spots:

  customer's computer -> webserver -> mailserver -> your computer

If I understand correctly, SSL will ensure the safe transfer of data to
the webserver. So now I need to create a public PGP key for the next
step, but I'm still not sure if that will totally encrypt the data on its
way to the mailserver and then on the way to my computer.

        Someone had asked a number of questions regarding my platform/web
server etc., none of which I understood =) However, my control panel
which I use to manage my web page had the following information on
it:OSLinux
Kernel Version2.4.18
Apache Version1.3.26 (Unix)
Path to Perl/usr/bin/perl
Path to SendMail/usr/sbin/sendmail
Perl Version5.006001
CPanel Version5.0.0-STABLE
CPanel Build99
Server Uptime4days, 12:31min

If that makes any sense to you, then you officially have a higher level
of expertise in this matter than I do!

There is an option on my control panel called "manage open PGP keys", but
I can't figure it out for the life of me. It brings up a screen which
reads "GnuPGP Key Generator", which says "Public Keys:" and has nothing
written under it, then has the option to either Add a Key or Import a
Key. I tried to "Add a Key", but then it asks me for some things which,
as you may have predicted, I do not understand. It has boxes for: My
name; my e-mail; comment/nickname; key/password; expire date; and key
size, which I can put at either 1024, 2048, or 4096. I tried to just make
a key like that, guessing my way through the pieces I didn't understand,
and came up with the following message:

gpg: Generating a standard key
gpg: /home/amazonde/.gpgtemp:7: missing argument

after which, there were no new keys listed under the "public keys:"
heading.

Sorry for my lack of technical expertise- this is a great website, I
spent a ton of time writing it, and it's for a good cause. I'm just not
sure where else to turn at this point, since no one has responded to my
questions on any of the forums I've posted to and tech support has
basically refused to help me with this. This all really makes me wonder
how people normally get through this part of creating a web site....but
then again I suppose most people don't need to transfer credit card
information, and if they do then they have the option of getting a
third-party company to take the information and process it for them
(which I can't do, because I'm part of a larger company and need to send
in orders myself to the company).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give- I can do my best to find any
more information which anyone needs to help me further. Thanks very
much!!!

        ~Sean
----__JNP_000_7e36.3fcf.0611

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bottomMargin=3D0 leftMargin=3D3 rightMargin=3D3 topMargin=3D0>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hi,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I asked a question a week =
or so=20
ago about using gpg to move a customer's credit card information over the =
web. I=20
was gifted with the first actually well written explanation that I have =
seen=20
throughout my quest to find answers to my problem, which has been carried =
out in=20
over a dozen e-mails to my web host's tech support people who obviously =
have no=20
idea what they're doing or what they're talking about.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Basically, I have a web =
host=20
(ventures online is my host's name), a web site, and a shared SSL server. I=
 have=20
a form which contains personal information, including credit card numbers, =
which=20
is on the SSL server...but I need to know what to do to get the results of =
the=20
form. Tech support told me to download GnuPGP for some reason which still=20
escapes me (and apparently, escapes them too), hence the fact that I am =
writing=20
in to this list.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Mark Kirchner mentioned =
that the=20
data has to travel through the following spots:</DIV>
<DIV><BR>&nbsp; customer's computer -&gt; webserver -&gt; mailserver -&gt; =
your=20
computer<BR></DIV>
<DIV>If I understand correctly, SSL will ensure the safe transfer of data =
to the=20
webserver.&nbsp;So now I need to create a public PGP key for the next step,=
 but=20
I'm still not sure if that will totally encrypt the data on its way to the=
=20
mailserver and then on the way to my computer.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Someone had asked a number =
of=20
questions regarding my platform/web server etc., none of which I understood=
 =3D)=20
However, my control panel which I use to manage my web page had the =
following=20
information on it:
<TABLE cellPadding=3D5 height=3D"9%" width=3D231>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD height=3D2><FONT class=3Dmed>OS</FONT></TD>
    <TD height=3D2><FONT class=3Dmed>Linux</FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD height=3D2><FONT class=3Dmed>Kernel Version</FONT></TD>
    <TD height=3D2><FONT class=3Dmed>2.4.18 </FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD height=3D2><FONT class=3Dmed>Apache Version</FONT></TD>
    <TD height=3D2><FONT class=3Dmed>1.3.26 (Unix)</FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD height=3D2><FONT class=3Dmed>Path to Perl</FONT></TD>
    <TD height=3D2><FONT class=3Dmed>/usr/bin/perl</FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD height=3D2><FONT class=3Dmed>Path to SendMail</FONT></TD>
    <TD height=3D2><FONT class=3Dmed>/usr/sbin/sendmail </FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD height=3D2><FONT class=3Dmed>Perl Version</FONT></TD>
    <TD height=3D2><FONT class=3Dmed>5.006001</FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD height=3D23><FONT class=3Dmed>CPanel Version</FONT></TD>
    <TD height=3D23><FONT class=3Dmed>5.0.0-STABLE</FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD height=3D23><FONT class=3Dmed>CPanel Build</FONT></TD>
    <TD height=3D23><FONT class=3Dmed>99</FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD height=3D23><FONT class=3Dmed>Server Uptime</FONT></TD>
    <TD height=3D23><FONT class=3Dmed>4days,=20
12:31min</FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV>
<DIV>If that makes any sense to you, then you officially have a higher =
level of=20
expertise in this matter than I do!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>There is an option on my control panel called "manage open PGP keys", =
but I=20
can't figure it out for the life of me. It brings up a screen which reads=20
"GnuPGP Key Generator", which says "Public Keys:" and has nothing written =
under=20
it, then has the option to either Add a Key or Import a Key. I tried to "=
Add a=20
Key", but then it asks me for some things which, as you may have predicted,=
 I do=20
not understand. It has boxes for: My name; my e-mail; comment/nickname;=20
key/password; expire date; and key size, which I can put at either 1024, =
2048,=20
or 4096. I tried to just make a key like that, guessing my way through the=
=20
pieces I didn't understand, and came up with the following message:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>gpg: Generating a standard key<BR>gpg: /home/amazonde/.gpgtemp:7: =
missing=20
argument</DIV>
<DIV><BR>after which, there were no new keys listed under the "public keys:=
"=20
heading.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Sorry for my lack of technical expertise- this is a great website, I =
spent=20
a ton of time writing it, and it's for a good cause. I'm just not sure =
where=20
else to turn at this point, since no one has responded to my questions on =
any of=20
the forums I've posted to and tech support has basically refused to help me=
 with=20
this. This all really makes me wonder how people normally get through this =
part=20
of creating a web site....but then again I suppose most people don't need =
to=20
transfer credit card information, and if they do then they have the option =
of=20
getting a third-party company to take the information and process it for =
them=20
(which I can't do, because I'm part of a larger company and need to send in=
=20
orders myself to the company).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks in advance for any help you can give- I can do my best to find =
any=20
more information which anyone needs to help me further. Thanks very=20
much!!!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ~Sean</DIV></BODY></HTML>

----__JNP_000_7e36.3fcf.0611--

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.