Newbie question

Andre Kurtz sm8028@aixrs1.hrz.uni-essen.de
Wed Sep 25 17:10:01 2002

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Sean M McMahon wrote:

> > On 23-Sep-2002/17:56 -0400, Sean M McMahon <ambassadorsean@juno.com>
> > wrote:
> > >I asked a question a week or so ago about using gpg to move a
> > >customer's credit card information over the web. I was gifted with
> > the
> > >first actually well written explanation that I have seen throughout
> > my
> > >quest to find answers to my problem, which has been carried out in
> > over a
> > >dozen e-mails to my web host's tech support people who obviously
> > have no
> > >idea what they're doing or what they're talking about.
> > [snip]
> > >Someone had asked a number of questions regarding my platform/web
> > >server etc., none of which I understood =) However, my control
> > panel
> > >which I use to manage my web page had the following information on
> > >it:
> > [snip]
> >
> > Looks like a pretty standard Linux setup. If you have telnet or
> > (better)
> > SSH access to the server then we can help you figure out how to get
> > this
> > working. If the only access you have is through an ISP-specific
> > interface
> > (ie; the "control panel" you mentioned), then the ISP will have to
> > help
> > you.
> >
> > Do you have SSH or telnet access to the server?
> >
> > Tony
>

> What's SSH, what's telnet, and how can I find out whether or not I have
> that kind of access to the server? =)

I apologize for my bad english ,but i am not a native speaker .

First ,you need a telnet and an ssh client .Telnet should not be a problem
,because it is part of the Windows and Linux installation .Just open a
terminal windows and type telnet <servername> .This will do it under Linux
and Windows .If the server allows telnet ,you will be prompted for your
username and password .If not ,the connection will be refused .But I
disencourage the use of telnet ,because passwords are send in cleartext .
That brings us to ssh .SSH is a part of the Linux installation ,so you
should have it installed under Linux .Type ssh <servername> .With Windows
,you have to download a SSH Client .You can find one on www.ssh.com
.Because SSH encrypts the data send on the connection ,it is always better
to use ssh than telnet .Hope I could help you .