adding and updating to keyservers

Newton Hammet newton@hammet.net
Fri Sep 27 06:00:01 2002

Hello All,
.........1.........2.........3.........4.........5.........6.........7
   Colombo fertively smashes his cigar butt on the luxurious carpet.
Then, groveling, he asksthe perp (hoping she had not seen his coarse
act of a lowly city detective), "Pardon me, mam, I hate to bother you,
but there is just... one more thing... and then I will be out of your
hair."

I have a key ready to publish, revoke cert (just in case) is backed up
to other HDD and floppy and hard copy printed out.

Public key is ready to upload to keyserver:

I assume that updating the key with additional material (like someone
signing my key), is done by the same processs under which the key was
added as a new key.

(that is deleting which is the problem, and that is what my various
copies of a revoke cert are, and the cert itself can be uploaded to the
keyserver, or do you have to revoke your public keylocally first and
then upload the whole shootin match to the server?
I guess this is question 1.

Question 2:  how exactly do people sign my key so i can put the
signatures on the keyserver, or, do other people do that? (sign the
copy I have on the key server).

The thing is, I know how to sign keys i put on my keyring.  I guess
what i do if i want someone to sign my key I send it to them they add
their signature, and send it back to me and then I send the whole
shooting match up to the server (as an update to my key).

(i.e. i first re-import my public key with signatures back to my local
keyring, check it out to make sure it hasn't been corrupted, and then
re-export and send on up to server, all assuming of course that the
public keyring is backed up prior to this.)

So what I have above is questions pretty much in the form of
assumptions...

Just all about putting the key out there being ready to revoke just in
case, and, getting the key signed by others, and so on.

Hopefully some volunteers will further illuminate me. and I set the
outgoing wrap at 72 characters this time ... hope that helps.

Regards, Newton