Question about random number generation

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 30 20:14:02 2002

Werner Koch wrote:

> This is easy with DOS and maybe with Windows but hard for other OSes.
> With DOS you have direct access to the interrupt service routine and
> nothing is in the way.  Real operating systems abstract the key
> presses from the application and there is no way to be sure that there
> is not a course granularity when taking the timings.  So these event
> might be quite predictable.

Do you have any idea how this situation is under Linux? I generated an
RSA key with pgp 2.6.3ia under Linux kernel 2.0.38, is this key secure?
I remember there was also a difference in which RSA and ElGamal keys
depend on a RNG (I remember also the RNG bug in pgp 5.0i for Unix).

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html