False insecure memory warnings...

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Sat Apr 5 06:29:01 2003

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 09:12:50PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 04:31:39PM -0500, David Shaw wrote:
> > util/secmem.c.  In particular see lock_pool().
>=20
> I'll go dig. Some time other than when I'm about to go out dinner on
> a Friday night. :^>
>=20
> > I wonder if the BSD login.conf rlimit stuff might be biting you here.
>=20
> Plausible. Well, actually... not:
>=20
> default:\
> [...]
>   :memorylocked=3Dunlimited:\
>=20
> Only other setting's for root...

I assume root's isn't something really small like 32k?

> > If cron has a smaller "memorylocked" value than you do when running
> > from the shell, then the mlock call can fail and cause the symptoms
> > you see.
>=20
> Don't think that cron's environment would be smaller, especially
> since it's doing a seteuid to the user...

set(e)uid doesn't necessarily imply that the rlimit values match the
values for uid in question...

What happens if you have a cron entry for "zsh -c 'ulimit -a'" ?

If that isn't it, perhaps something changed in mlock or mmap with the
new NetBSD?

David

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua--