Question about --rebuild-keydb-caches

Michael Nahrath gnupg-users@nahrath.de
Mon Apr 21 10:46:01 2003

--------------enig58B1961704ED22B370E96E0F

Ingo Klöcker wrote:

>>Did you try this a second time as well?

> Yes, I ran "time gpg --check-trustdb" twice. Same result.

Sorry, I quoted the wrong line.

I meant "Did you run 'time gpg --rebuild-keydb-caches' for a second time?"

But manwhile you have run all the extended tests that I intended to suggest :)

> # gpg --list-keys | egrep pub\ \ ....G
> pub  4096G/DEADBEEF
>
> So there is only one of those keys in my keyring.

I guess "DEADBEAF" stands for 10F4B2AA.

I had a problem with that key earlier and braught it to this list on 2002-12-04.

David Shaw explained then:

>> But before deleting them those 2 signatures seem to have corrupted my
>> whole keyring.
>
> Not corrupted.  David's key has several user ID revocations on it.
> Elgamal is a very slow signing algorithm, and validating those
> revocation self-signatures takes time.
>
> When you deleted one of them, you caused the signature cache to be
> updated, so the sigs didn't need to be checked again.  You could have
> deleted anything from that key or run --rebuild-keydb-caches and
> gotten the same result.
>
> When GnuPG imports a new key, it automatically caches signatures, but
> does not cache user ID revocations.

HTH,
Greeting, Michi