gpg-agent

Neil Williams linux@codehelp.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 21:11:03 2003

--Boundary-02=_WPZp+bYmLQcfmPZ

Does anyone know how to solve problems with the environment variable for
gpg-agent?

=========
http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html
Before using gpg, you need to start gpg-agent:

eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"

(gpg-agent outputs a little shell script that sets the environment variable
GNUPG_AGENT_INFO). You may want to add this to your ~/.xsession or startkde
so that all programs see the environment variable.

==========

I've tried putting it in /home/neil/.xsession (a symlink to
/home/neil/.xinitrc) and in /usr/local/kde/bin/startkde but all I get is two
copies of the agent showing up in ps -ax in a root shell but nothing in a
user shell. The gpg-agent-info environment variable is present in the root
shell but not in the user shell. If I run the eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
command in a user terminal or in .bashrc, it still isn't visible to KMail
unless I start KMail from the same terminal.

I can't see why the environment variable isn't being passed on to users.

Unless the gpg-agent-info environment variable is within scope of KMail, I
can't send signed emails.

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/