can't work on armoured keyring

Michael Nahrath gnupg-users@nahrath.de
Tue Apr 22 22:54:02 2003

--------------enigFFCC152A1BB891F6F764CD82

I downloaded a community's keyring from a website. It is ASCII-armored and
served via http: as 'application/pgpkeys' according to RFC 3156.

Unfortunately I get errors whenever I try to work on this keyring without
importing it. You may try on your own:

$ gpg -a --export 5B0358A2 99242560 > test.gpgkey
$ gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring ./test.gpgkey --list-keys
gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=2d)
gpg: keydb_search_first failed: invalid packet
$ gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring ./test.gpgkey --check-sigs
gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=2d)
gpg: keydb_search_first failed: invalid packet

Nevertheless
$ gpg --list-packets ./test.gpgkey
works fine.

Seems like GPG (same behaviour in all versions from 1.06 through 1.2.2rc2)
is unable to deal with a keyring if it is ASCII-armoured.

Is this	* a bug?
	* a known limitation?
	* technically neccesary?

We still would like to provide this keyring in a form that was suitable to
do WoT-annalysis etc. without further modifications.
Do we have to provide it in binary form for this?
What is the correct MIME-type for a binary keyring file?

Greeting, Michi