querying multiple keyservers

Neil Williams linux@codehelp.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 20:35:02 2003

--Boundary-02=_oytp+S7A3OPi7Tj

On Wednesday 23 April 2003 5:15 pm, darren chamberlain wrote:
> * Todd <Freedom_Lover at pobox.com> [2003-04-23 11:51]:
> > I know that we could also just maintain a group keyring, but I was
> > looking to have some fun learning about running pks.
>
> What about setting up a local keyserver that syncs against a remote
> keyserver, and then just simply use that one for everything?
>
> (darren)

I was thinking of the same thing for my own LUG. Darren, I looked at your idea
myself but only if the sync was uni-directional. If the smaller keyserver
sends keys to the main keyservers, the functionality of removing keys is
lost.

How does the keyserver protocol implement the sync? Can it be done so that the
smaller keyserver only refreshes existing keys and doesn't ever send any keys
to any other main keyserver. (Along the lines of limiting the small keyserver
to a function akin to gpg --refresh-keys).

Is a keyserver just a public ring with extra software added?

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/