do_plaintext() error message

Steve Butler sbutler@fchn.com
Wed Apr 23 22:43:03 2003

Perhaps I'm all wet, but wouldn't the output from both tar and time be sent
via the pipe to gpg?  Somehow I think there will be problems since tar is
being told to send output via STDOUT and time writes by default to STDOUT.

Try it without time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hunter, Bryan [mailto:Bryan_Hunter@archway.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 12:12 PM
To: 'gnupg-users@gnupg.org'
Subject: do_plaintext() error message

Could some one please explain what the following error message means and in
particular whether the output is corrupt in some way?

gpg: do_plaintext(): wrote 46305280 bytes but expected 4096 bytes

This was the result of entering a command like this.

time tar -cvf - directory | gpg --output outfile --encrypt --recipient keyid
-

Here "directory" is a directory, "outfile" is the output file, and "keyid"
is the recipient.  This is GnuPG 1.0.6 running under RedHat 7.2.  A
decryption by PGP seemed to work.

Thank you,
Bryan Hunter