gpg-agent

Neil Williams linux@codehelp.co.uk
Thu Apr 24 19:43:01 2003

--Boundary-02=_VHCq+UM0EAMchSh

On Tuesday 22 April 2003 8:48 pm, darren chamberlain wrote:
> * Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> [2003-04-22 15:43]:
> > Does anyone know how to solve problems with the environment variable
> > for gpg-agent?

The problem now is that in order to start KMail, I MUST issue the eval
"$(gpg-agent --daemon)" command in a bash script and execute kmail from the
same script - no other form (like the one you list below) will work and KMail
never finds the agent unless yet another gpg-agent daemon is started each
time I start KMail.

What is the consequence (if any) of perhaps 10 or more gpg-agent --daemon
listings in ps -ax?

I've tried just exporting the variable (it shows in the output but is not
passed to KMail), I've tried alternative formats of the eval command. I've
tried setting the panel properties to execute in a terminal and I've tried
executing the same file from the desktop and from the panel.

The only method to work is:
#!/bin/bash
eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
kmail

Even now I still get the complaint that KPanel cannot execute the script (but
it goes ahead and does so anyway) despite the script now being chmod 755 and
all directories in the path also being 755.

> Make sure that the script that gpg-agent --daemon emits is exporting the
> variables, or export them yourself:
>
>   eval `gpg-agent --daemon`
>   export GNUPG_AGENT_INFO
>
> (darren)

Doesn't work. There has to be a better way than using environment variables.

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/