Data not decrypting

Ediprogrammer@aol.com Ediprogrammer@aol.com
Fri Aug 1 18:21:03 2003

Hi,

I'm a newbie, both to gnupg and to cryptography concepts in general, and the problem I'm having is: when I decrypt a file the output is completely unreadable, it looks like the file is still encrypted!

My situation is this: I created and exported my gnupg key pair using the WinPT interface (gnupg version 1.2.1). I emailed my public key to the person who will be sending me encrypted files. This person encrypted a file using my public key (she is using PGP version 7.0.4). She emailed me the encrypted file. I wrote a .bat file containing the following decrypt statement:

gpg --passphrase-fd --decrypt --output input.txt input.pgp < passphrase.txt 2> log_decrypt.txt

I ran the .bat file and got the following messages in my log file:

gpg: encrypted with ELG-E key, ID uniqueid#1
gpg: encrypted with ELG-E key, ID uniqueid#2
gpg: encrypted with 1792-bit ELG-E key, ID uniqueid#3, created 2003-06-24
      "my name here <my email address here>"
gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected

(1) from reading this list serv I believe the WARNING message is because gnupg is expecting MDC to be used but PGP is not using MDC. It is my understanding this warning message shouldn't affect the outcome of the actual decryption. In fact, to get rid of the warning message I added "--no-mdc-warning" which did, indeed, get rid of the warning.

(2) what do the three "gpg: encryped with..." messages mean?

(3) when I looked at my output file (input.txt), it was all garbage characters, it still looks encrypted!

Thanks for any light you'all can shed on the subject.

~~