PGP8

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Sun Aug 3 02:34:02 2003

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 09:54:47AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> On 02-Aug-2003, Johan Wevers wrote:
> > Ben Finney wrote:
> > >Is it possible to build a complete working PGP, as provided by the
> > >vendor, from the source code?
> >=20
> > No. They provide only the encryption and hashing routines, not the GUI
> > code.
> >=20
> > >Yet another reason to use free software, instead of "look but don't
> > >touch" source code carrots.
> >=20
> > If you get complete source code I would find that sufficient to solve
> > the trust argument.
>=20
> The source code is only complete if you can build a complete working
> version of the product with it, as I've pointed out.

I was under the impression that PGP 8 (unlike 7) did in fact come
complete with all the code necessary to recreate the complete system.
The PGP folks made a pretty big deal about it at the time.

I know of at least one person who has built his own PGP 8.  (Not me).
For obvious reasons, I'm a little reluctant to look at the PGP source
;)

David

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J--