Problem with key showing up as expired...

David J. Weller-Fahy dave-lists-gnupg@weller-fahy.com
Sun Aug 24 16:53:01 2003

* David Shaw <dshaw@jabberwocky.com> [2003-08-23 16:41]:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 04:17:23PM -0800, David J. Weller-Fahy wrote:
> > impressions it seemed that the key was expired, yet he was using it
> > to sign mail.
>
> It is expired.  Sort of.  You can't have an unexpired subkey with an
> expired primary key.  The primary key always takes precedence and
> forces the subkey to be expired.

Good to know.

> If the signer is still using this key regularly, it is possible that
> he at some point extended the expiration date of his primary key, and
> you didn't get a copy of that extension.  I suggest asking the key
> owner for a copy of his key.

Well, I did.  The owner told me which keyserver he uploads to, and I
double checked my copy against that server.  It's up to date.  However,
the message that he sent with that information was signed with key
0x5A103307, not 0x8B362A2F.

I'll bet that signing with the old key was not intentional.

Thanks for all the info...

  David