Smartcard Support, open system security, law,( certificate sig removed)

Mark Kirchner mail@mark-kirchner.de
Sun Aug 24 18:37:02 2003

Hi,

On Sunday, August 24, 2003, 5:01:57 PM, Erwan wrote:
>> > Not you, but an attacker who finds or steals the card would.
>>
>> Thats for what revocations are used for.
>
> If your private key is on the card and you loose the card, then you
> cannot issue a revocation, since you need the private key.

Only if you haven't created a revocation certificate - before you lost
the card / private key. (Well, I don't know for sure, but I guess that
revocation certs exist for smartcards also.) Creating one should be a
must-do when you set up a smartcard (also for "normal" keypairs...)

Regards,
Mark Kirchner

--
Key (0x19DC86D3) available: http://www.mark-kirchner.de/keys/key-mk.asc