out of memory on encrypt

Neil Williams linux@codehelp.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 20:36:02 2003

On Thursday 28 Aug 2003 1:46 pm, Ross Druker wrote:
> While I appreciate your advice on proper usage of keys and users, that was
> not really my question.  I'm trying to get gpg working on AIX.  But just =
so

I know that, but using GnuPG properly at least helps me to know that the er=
ror=20
message is real rather than an artefact of an incomplete/broken installatio=
n.

> you know, the private key is from someone I work with.  They generated the

Sorry, bad excuse!=20
:-)

> key on their PC and I imported it into gpg on the AIX system because they
> asked if I could re-use their existing key.  I can address the procedural

It's their key?! Not yours?! Generating your own key on the target system i=
s a=20
much better test of the success or failure of the installation.

> issues you raise later (and they are good points), but if I can't get the
> program to run, they don't do me any good.

:-)

Seriously, it'll be much easier to know what it really happening when the=20
GnuPG setup is known to be good. This in turn is easier to know if you are=
=20
using GnuPG properly. Errors like the ones I pointed out don't inspire much=
=20
confidence that the rest of the installation is workable.

So, to solve your out of memory problem: First things first.
1. Can you generate new keys, list all your keys, import and export keys OK?
gpg --gen-key
(You can always delete this test key later, so don't be too fussy about the=
=20
settings, just see if the defaults work.)

gpg --list-keys

Download http://www.codehelp.co.uk/neilwilliams.txt to your home directory =
and=20
try:

gpg --import neilwilliams.txt

Export:
gpg -a --export 28bcb3e3

Now use:
gpg -a  -e neilwilliams.txt

Gpg will prompt you for the recipient key. Enter your newly generated keyid=
=20
and then a blank line. This way you can decrypt the file later to make sure=
=20
your new secret key is working.

gpg -a -e neilwilliams.txt
You did not specify a user ID. (you may use "-r")
Enter the user ID.  End with an empty line:=20

Compare the output and repost.

I've changed to inline signature for this email so you should also be able =
to=20
save this to a local file and use:

gpg --verify filename

> So my questions really are:
>   Why is gpg bombing?

Could be down to problems in your installation - the above tests should hel=
p=20
resolve the doubts. If all the above work, please post more details of the=
=20
configuration.=20

>   Has anyone else seen this memory problem?
>   Has anyone succuessfully run gpg on AIX 5.1?

Now I can't help with the specifics of that last one, but by running the ab=
ove=20
commands, any error messages will give everyone a solid base to find the=20
solution because all the steps are reproducible.

> Again, here is the tail end of the output:
> > gpg: writing to `testpgp.txt.gpg'
> > gpg: ELG-E/CAST5 encrypted for: "A27627F4 User's Name <User's e-mail
>
> address>"
>
> > gpg: out of  memory while allocating 8192 bytes
>
> Thanks,
> Ross

I'm sure this can be resolved, it just needs a little procedure.

=2D --=20

Neil Williams
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
http://www.codehelp.co.uk