How do I check a copy of my public key?

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Tue Dec 2 09:43:28 CET 2003

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 05:01:37PM +0100, Thomas Sj?gren wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:51:56AM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> [...]
> > When I do --send-keys, how can I
> > check that the updated key information is, in fact,
> > available from the keyserver?
>
> You can use --recv-key <keyid> to retrieve the key from a keyserver or
> --search-key <keyid> to search for it.

But, my understanding is that --recv-key <keyid> will *merge* any *new*
information from the keyserver into the *existing* record on my keychain,
and, I already know that the new information is on my keychain. I want to
check that the new information, which I just sent, was successfully
received. I can use --list-keys to check my own key chains. Thats not
my question.

Or is the information from the keyserver always assumed to be authoritative,
and overwrites any conflicting information on the local key chain? I doubt
that that is a good thing to do, but I am a newbie at this.