Corrupted Files -- Need Help

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Dec 2 13:19:24 CET 2003

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:18:01AM -0800, Steve Butler wrote:
> After several months of smooth operation we have received 3 different
> copies of a file that we are unable to decrypt.
>
> AFAIK nothing has changed on either side.

Interesting.  Those files were generated with PGP (you can tell from
the ":marker packet: 50 47 50").  How were they transferred to you?
If it was FTP, can you ensure that it wasn't ASCII mode?

Try having the user send you an ASCII armored file.  Also try having
the user zip the file before sending it, which can help establish
where the corruption is happening.

Out of curiosity, try decrypting each with the --show-session-key
flag.  Don't post the output - just tell me if the key is the same for
all three.

David