gnupg feature request

Jim C. jcllings at javahop.com
Mon Dec 8 00:25:01 CET 2003

I didn't know that... let me try...
Eureka!!! That worked like a charm! :-)
Thanks! :-)

Here is the output of a registry export for an XP Pro box for anyone who
wants it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GNU]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GNU\GNUPG]
"gpgProgram"="C:\\Program Files\\GnuPG\\gpg.exe"
"HomeDir"=hex(2):25,00,41,00,50,00,50,00,44,00,41,00,54,00,41,00,25,00,5c,00,\
~  47,00,6e,00,75,00,50,00,47,00,00,00

This should store the keys in %APPDATA%\GnuPG which usually translates
into something like, C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application
Data\GnuPG

Note that you may get errors if this directory does not exist.

If you want to do it by hand, type "regedit" in at the command line or
from Start | Run.  Then proceed to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GNU] and
rename the old setting to HomeDir.old  Now right click on the pane on
the right hand side and select New | Expandable String.  Name it HomeDir
and give it a value of "%APPDATA%\\GnuPG" (without the quotes). Last,
check to make sure you know who you are logged in as (XP Pro lets you
open terminal windows as other users like Linux does... well sort of.)

Test run from the command line:

First check to see who I am:

C:\Documents and Settings\jhondoa>ECHO %USERNAME%
jhondoa

Next test to see if gnupg knows where they keys are:

C:\Documents and Settings\jhondoa>gpg --list-keys
C:\Documents and Settings\jhondoa\Application Data\GnuPG\pubring.gpg
pub  XXXXX/XXXXXXXX 2003-12-02 John D. (no password) <jhondoa at email.com>
sub  XXXXX/XXXXXXXX 2003-12-02

C:\Documents and Settings\jhondoa>

Bingo!!