What to do after my key is signed by others?

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Mon Dec 8 21:15:54 CET 2003

Welcome to the OpenGPG world!

On Monday 08 December 2003 15:33, Ingo Kletti wrote:
[...]
> In what way is the signature connected to my public key? Is it integrated
> into it? In my understanding this would mean that i have to upload this new
> signed key to the keyserver everytime i get somebody to sign it. Is that
> so?

The signature is attached to it; whenever you export a public key, all
attached parts are exported, too. (Everything you see when you do 'gpg
--list-sigs <keyid>' from the commandline).

Yes, it is good practice to upload the key to the keyservers every time you
get a signature.

> And while we´re talking about keyservers: Does it make sense to put the key
> on more than one keyserver (besides redundancy for server outages)?

Yes and no. It is good when the keyserver is available in all keyservers, so
somebody receiving a signed mail from you (or wanting to send an encrypted
mail to you) doesn't have to hunt for the key.

But on the other hand, most keyservers automatically sync their key with each
other.  So, uploading your key to any of the wwwkeys.pgp.net [1] servers will
send it to all others, too. (ObPlug: for certain advanced users of gpg, this
is not necessarily true - http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/subkeys)

Greetings
-- vbi

[1] at the moment:
wwwkeys.pgp.net domain name pointer pgp.cns.ualberta.ca.
wwwkeys.pgp.net domain name pointer pgp.dtype.org.
wwwkeys.pgp.net domain name pointer pgp.mainframe.cx.
wwwkeys.pgp.net domain name pointer mars.citrin.ch.
wwwkeys.pgp.net domain name pointer wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net.
wwwkeys.pgp.net domain name pointer horowitz.surfnet.nl.
wwwkeys.pgp.net domain name pointer blackhole.pca.dfn.de.
wwwkeys.pgp.net domain name pointer keyserver.bu.edu.
wwwkeys.pgp.net domain name pointer keyserver.kjsl.com.
wwwkeys.pgp.net domain name pointer keyserver.stinkfoot.org.

--
pub  1024D/92082481 2002-02-22 Adrian von Bidder <avbidder at fortytwo.ch>
     Key fingerprint = EFE3 96F4 18F5 8D65 8494  28FC 1438 5168 9208 2481