Mandrake problems

Maxine Brandt torduninja at inbox.lv
Fri Dec 12 23:37:10 CET 2003

Hi Graham,

I was going to wait until you'd finished moving house before tapping
you for some tips on on a secure box, but as you kindly jumped the
gun....

On Thu Dec 11, 2003  9:54 pm you wrote:

| Including the kernel update? Be careful when upgrading systems
unless
| you know what you are doing. The problem (as always) is the
| dependencies and urpmi is not very good at updating these (one of
the
| reasons I'm not a Mandrake user, along with the use of .rpm
packages).

Aa I said, I'm using Mandrake for training purposes, so if I screw up
something it doesn't matter much. In the end I'll use it as a rescue
OS in case my W2K system goes down and I have to recuperate files. (I
have Mandrake on the same machine as W2K). At present I'm trying
compiling from source, which in most cases poses no problem.

| The only hyper-secure Linux system is one that is not connected to
the
| internet.

That's Principle #1 on my list.

| Finally, set up your permissions to your confidential work to allow
| only user access and use a strong password system.

Of course.

| But although Mandrake can give you a secure system, you are better
off
| running a distro designed for security, and there are a number
listed
| at Distrowatch.
| Do you want to run any other desktop
| apart from KDE or Gnome? And what packages do you want to run
| securely? Do you want easy upgrades to those packages and their
| dependencies? What level of security do you want?
|
| I may be able to give you one or two suggestions if you give this
| information

I'm still checking out some different distributions. My first thought
was to adapt the Knoppix Privacy Edition to run from hard disk, and
maybe I'll try this because it offers swapfile encryption as well as
an encrypted file system. But on my travels I met someone from Yoper
(which is a distribution from New Zealand). Their distro is optimised
for i686 and higher and has an encrypted file system (not sure about
the swap file encryption - I'll see about that when the CDs arrive).
It allows installation of RPM, DEB and TGZ packages but the big plus
with this distro is that for registered users they'll make packages
for anything you can't get to install or update yourself, tailored to
your hardware.

The information I've been able to get on "security-enhanced" distros
concentrates almost exclusively on network issues, which doesn't
concern my project. I want an encrypted file system and swap file
encryption but maybe  you can suggest other stuff I should have, too.

As for applications, I'm thinking of KDE, Open Office (plus other
office software), Mozilla + Enigmail for preparing email to be
transferred to a
removable medium, GnuPG of course, The Gimp + Image Magick, and (what
I haven't found yet on Linux) a good video-editing application.

Apart from that, I want to make it as hard as possibly for anyone to
even boot the system if they get access to my machine. I have a
password-protected BIOS and my idea is to disable booting from floppy
or CD-ROM. I'll have a FAT32 partition (no OS) as a halfway house for
transferring files to my NTFS box so I can set the MBR to point to
this partition. To boot the system I'll have to log into the BIOS and
enable the floppy or CD-ROM to boot up.

Salut,
Maxine