RSA key size restriction?

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 11 22:57:10 CET 2003

David Shaw wrote:

>> Hmm. I wonder how many of those keys were actually generated by GnuPG
>> and how many were made by certain hacked versions of PGP.

>Yes, but before the key was generated, they had to agree to:
>  The use of this algorithm is only supported by GnuPG.

Doesn't pgp 5.0i for Unix support this? I remember having generated a
key:

sec   1024D/624B3B3E 1999-10-26 Johan Wevers <johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl>
uid                             Johan Wevers <johanw at xs4all.nl>
ssb   3072g/1B240FEE 1999-10-26

where gpg complained about insecure key type, once with this version (that,
BTW, has a RNG bug that compromises security), but I already had it revoked
for another reason before this GnuPG bug was discovered (the key was already
possibly compromised, even without faulty signatures).

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html