FAQ addition

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Tue Feb 11 01:42:01 2003

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 12:05:27AM -0500, Todd wrote:

> Oliver White wrote:
> > Q: I've imported my Windows' PGP keys, but Kmail refuses to use any of the
> > keys, because they don't seem to be trusted.
> >
> > A:
> > gpg --list-secret-keys   (to get the number of your private key)
> > gpg --edit-key [keynumber]
> >   > help
> >   > trust     (5 is "ultimately trusted" for your own secret key)
> >   > quit
>
> I initially though, why not this for an answer:
>
> A:
>     copy (or mount) secring.skr to somewhere accessible by gpg and run:
>     lspgpot /path/to/secring.skr | gpg --import-ownertrust
>
> But when I tried it I found that lspgpot doesn't work on secret keyrings.
> So I made a quick attempt to modify it.

Another solution for the same problem is in GnuPG 1.2.2.  1.2.2 comes
with a script "convert-from-106".  If you run it, it automatically
tags all of your secret keys as ultimately trusted.

(As the name suggests, the script is intended for people upgrading
from 1.0.6 or earlier, but it works for this as well).

David