armoring without encrypting or signing?

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Wed Jan 8 18:13:02 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 08:11:11AM -0800, vedaal@hush.com wrote:

> Message: 11
> >Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 18:30:22 -0500
> >From: David Shaw <dshaw@jabberwocky.com>
> >To: gnupg-users@gnupg.org
> >Subject: Re: armoring without encrypting or signing?
>
> >On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 03:21:23PM -0800, vedaal@hush.com wrote:
>
> > is there a way to do this in gnupg?
> > {an equivalent to the pgp -d command, or any other way?
>
> >gpg --enarmor
>
> >gpg --dearmor
>
> Thanks!! I love it!!!
>
> using:
> gpg --enarmor d:\addendO.doc
> produced
> d:\addendO.asc
>
> opening the file in notepad to see what the armoring looks like, gives:

All recent versions.. I don't know when the feature was added.

> [2] the header  PGP ARMORED FILE
> where is it described? {could not find it in rfc 2440}

It's not.  This is a GnuPG-specific feature.  As it happens, PGP can
usually handle it, but that is not guaranteed of course.

You're better off using Brian Minton's suggestion of "--armor
--store".  That will work with PGP.

The filename problem you are having can be fixed if you are using
GnuPG 1.2.2.  Use --no-mangle-dos-filenames.

David