TAB at EOL (GPG and PGP interoperability)

vedaal@hush.com vedaal@hush.com
Fri Jan 10 00:08:02 2003

>Message: 13
>Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 16:56:16 -0500
>From: David Shaw <dshaw@jabberwocky.com>
>To: gnupg-users@gnupg.org
>Subject: Re: TAB at EOL (GPG and PGP interoperability)

>On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 12:02:04PM -0800, Knut Forkalsrud wrote:
> I'm using GPG version 1.2.1 and some files signed using PGP 7.0.4 have
> caused problems. It turns out that the problem files have trailing
> TAB characters on some lines. All PGP versions I have tried can
> verify the signature easily, but GPG insists it's a BAD signature.
..
>This is a bug in PGP. The OpenPGP standard dictates that "...any
>trailing whitespace (spaces, and tabs, 0x09) at the end of any line is
>ignored when the cleartext signature is calculated." PGP only ignores
>spaces and includes tabs.

is it a 'bug' or a 'feature' ?  ;^)

it is sort-of improbable that the files Kurt was referring to just had
'tabs' added onto the end .

it is more likely that some of the plaintext was arranged in columns like:
'character'TAB'character'TAB'...'character'TAB'character'

and then, after pgp 'wrapping'(or e-mail wrapping), the character at the end of the line,
got transferred to the beginning of the next line, leaving a TAB to end the line, but not as intentional trailing space

it would seem reasonable to think about either preventing 'wrapping'
from doing this,
or allowing gnupg to accept it

with Respect,

vedaal

Big $$$ to be made with the HushMail Affiliate Program: