Certificate Question

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Mon Jan 13 18:51:01 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 09:36:25AM -0800, Rasoul Hajikhani wrote:
> Hello Folks,
> I have a question in regards to a gpg certificate. How, or is there way,
> to find out who certified a document?

Signatures contain the keyid of the signer inside them.  If you run
gpg on the file, you will see a line that reads something like:

gpg: Signature made Mon 13 Jan 2003 12:51:07 PM EST using RSA key ID xxxxxxxx

The 'xxxxxxxx' is the keyid of the signer.  You can then find that
keyid on any keyserver you like to give you a name.  If you use
'keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve' in your gpg.conf file, gpg will
do this automatically for you.

David