TAB at EOL (GPG and PGP interoperability)

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Tue Jan 14 20:49:02 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 12:07:16AM +0100, Ingo Kl=F6cker wrote:
> On Friday 10 January 2003 18:28, vedaal@hush.com wrote:
> > assuming that gnupg wraps a clearsigned message at 64 characters,
> > and pgp at 76 characters
>=20
> Neither GnuPG nor PGP do any line wrapping. The lines are wrapped by th=
e=20
> applications (e.g. the mail clients) that use gpg/pgp to clearsign=20
> messages.

PGP does have a word wrap function.  Since some mailers do their
wrapping after PGP has been run on the mail, that would break the
signature.  To help avoid this, PGP can wrap as part of the signing
function.  The idea is you make PGP wrap at a lower value than your
mail client, so the mail client never has anything to do.

GnuPG never wraps.  Mailers in the *nix world tend to handle filtering
properly so it is not necessary.  I'm not sure if WinPT wraps or not.

David

--=20
   David Shaw  |  dshaw@jabberwocky.com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.co=
m/