AW: Importing SMIME and PGP7 into GPG

Huels, Ralf SCORE Ralf.Huels@schufa.de
Thu Jan 16 12:12:03 2003

> I've just looked at the FAQ and documentation for GPG but
> can't find how to import a public key from a S/MIME
> certificate that was attached to a mail I received
> (smime.p7s) or from a PGP signed email.
> Does GPG support either of these formats?

S/MIME is not currently supported.

For some information on the differences, see for example
http://www.imc.org/smime-pgpmime.html

You can usually verify a PGP signature with GnuPG, however
the key itself is usually *not* included in the message.

You'll have to process the signature, get the key ID from
the output and retrieve the key from a public key server.
You can configure GnuPG so that it automagically retrieves
unknown keys, though I don't know the relevant options right
now.

If the key is not present on your favorite key server, you'll
have to ask your correspondent to send his public key to you
in a separate message (or get it from his home page, maybe).

HTH.
Tschuess,
Ralf