comment, propagation, and key servers

Jaye Inabnit ke6sls ke6sls@arrl.net
Fri Jan 17 10:36:48 2003

On Thursday 16 January 2003 10:11 am, you wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 16. Januar 2003 12:29 schrieb Charly Avital:
> > At 12:29 PM -0800 1/15/03, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:
> > >Today, I
> > >uploaded (I think) to 5 other key servers to hopefully make my public
> > > key more easily found.
> >
> > It's best to have a little patience, and wait until the keyserver you
> > uploaded your key to, syncs with other keyservers. Uploading the same key
> > to additional keyservers might be frowned upon, and considered to put an
> > unnecessary load on keyservers in general.

Agreed.  I originally installed and configured Gnupg about 1 year ago.  This
is why I wondered about how these key servers exchange data and with what
other key servers.

> > >One user said that I could edit my comment section to include the public
> > > key server.  Sounded like a terrific idea, but how do I do this?
> >
> > I think the best way is to add it in your Options file.
> > In gpg prior to 1.2.0, it was called ~/.gnupg/options.
> > In later versions, it is ~/.gpg.conf.
>
> the man page says:
>
>        ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf
>                  Default configuration file
>
>        ~/.gnupg/options
>                  Old  style  configuration  file;  only used when
>                  gpg.conf is not found
> Thomas

> Charly said:
>You could open that file, with a text editor, and type one clean line, e.g.:
>comment [the text you want to be displayed] then hit return, to create an
>empty line, save the changes in the text editor, and quit the text editor.

This worked very well as you can see.  I do have the options file (running
Debian stable here) and editing/adding my comment entry worked without a
problem--thank you.  :)

The propagation issue is still bothers me.  Why didn't www.keyserver.net pass
along my key to other key servers?  This is beyond my expereince, yet I think
those that are active in coding Gnupg might want to address the situation.

I do not know if it is customary to upload to more than a single key server,
but I received two messages indicating that others had expereinced the same
problem as I had (lack of key propagation).

Thank you all for responding so rapidly!

wishing you my best.

- --

Jaye Inabnit<ARS ke6sls>A Debian-Gnu/Linux user
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!