Email Clients and digital signatures

Wolfgang Bornath wobo@wolf-b.de
Fri Jul 4 11:32:04 2003

R.Emory Lundberg wrote:

> There is literally an outbreak of inexperienced administrators of
> newly-installed Linux hosts that cause more problems for people than an
> IIS webserver would, say, in the hands of competent administrators.
>
> The learning curve for Linux isn't as low as it could be yet. This isn't
> news. People often run as a privileged user to get around having to deal
> with things they don't have to deal with when they're root. Add to this
> the installation problems, maintenance, patches, there isn't anything as
> good as "Windows Update" or "System Update" that I'm aware of outside of
> RedHat Network - which may be great, but isn't the most user-friendly UI
> I've ever seen to a patch and update system.

You should read the numerous threads [1] of the last weeks about the
step of Mandrake Linux to hide 'root' as an option to log into the GUI
environment. The standard xdm in Mandrake Linux only show user-icons
as options to login to KDE or GNOME, etc.
There are lots of noobs complaining about that. Given replys that it
is a Bad Thing(TM) and totally unnecessary they come back and claim
that's their computer and they can do whatever they want and so on ad
infinitum.

This shows exactly what you wrote.
The more M$ is scewing the users with new schemes to get their money,
the more Linux is becomeing userfriendly, the more users come to try
the alternative and of course thea are carrying with them the mindset
they have been working with all the time.

Same happened when a people was converted to christian religion. They
turned (or were turned) to the new religion but all of them inserted
some or a little of their former religion into their new religious
customs.

Same happened when the US of A were young and all the emigrants came
from all the various countries. You can't stop that.

This is a thought that could make a Linux user of the first 10 years
shiver.

[1] Threads are available in alt.os.linux.mandrake

wobo
--
Public GnuPG key available at http://www.wolf-b.de/misc