IDEA algorithm

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 8 11:49:08 2003

David Shaw wrote:

>However, please don't do it unless you must. IDEA is only really
>needed for PGP 2.x compatibility.

Well, not necessarily. I have set IDEA as algorithm of first preference in
my gpg key prefs, and noticed that gpg used IDEA when I sent mail to someone
with a pgp key (but she recently dwitched to a Linux desktop) without prefs.
She needed her system manager to recompile gnupg with IDEA included.

Further, pgp 2.6 is still often used. So pgp 2.x compatibility is not
something very obscure you'll hardly ever need.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html