biglumber.com ... un-PLUGged?

Magnus chrish@trilug.org
Tue Jul 8 22:28:02 2003

--Apple-Mail-3--67945910

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 06:37 PM, Walt Mankowski wrote:

> Magnus just posted a similarly cryptic message to the Philadelphia
> Linux User's group list.  Apparently he thinks it's significant that
> Philadelphia has dropped down from first to second place in the "Top
> Cities" list. :)

I see the PLUG guys are taking it lying down.  :)

(Disclosure: I'm a double agent, with one foot planted firmly in PLUG
soil and another foot planted firmly in TriLUG soil.  I also may have
had a little to do with organizing the recent biglumber.com activity in
TriLUG.)

It seems to me that biglumber.com is a horribly under-utilized tool.
Yes, it's a little rough around the edges and could use some tweaks to
its interface but on the whole it is a very good foundation for privacy
enthusiasts (not just GnuPG, but PGP also).

As it stood until a couple of days ago, only a few cities seemed to
take the site seriously at all.  I happened to know that the Triangle
area had a stronger roster of GnuPG users than the biglumber index
indicated, and that it was in the same ballpark as PLUG participation
in terms of raw numbers.  TriLUG just lacked some of the determination
to announce a keysigning at every meeting, or to advertise a list of
all of the GnuPG users who are willing to meet up with others outside
of TriLUG for a key signing meetup.

Right now there are somewhere between 40-50 active GnuPG users in
TriLUG.  Better than half of them are willing to meet up for impromptu
key signings.  But they weren't listed anywhere.  Biglumber.com is the
logical place to advertise that availability.

Inciting a little friendly competition between the LUGs is actually
beneficial all around.  GnuPG gets exposure.  In the Philly & Triangle
regions it shoots down the old argument "I can't use GnuPG/PGP because
nobody else uses it."  PLUG & TriLUG both get exposure (which PLUG has
already enjoyed) as being good resources for learning about
privacy-enhancing software.

And who knows, maybe a little friendly competition will arouse the
interest of other user groups and get them in on it.  This could only
mean more key signing events, more GnuPG evangelism, and (on the Linux
side) more people being exposed to Open Source operating systems like
Linux as a better platform for protecting your privacy rights.
Everybody wins.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish