OpenPGP vs inline PGP

Robin Lynn Frank rlfrank@paradigm-omega.com
Fri Jul 11 05:31:03 2003

On Thursday 10 July 2003 19:06, John B wrote:

> > > Don't you enjoy this admin lark anymore?
> >
> > I have a real-world job function as well.  This has become the second 16
> > hours of each workday.
> >
> > I don't need a challenge.  I need results.  The only reason I even
> > attempted this was to have a way to verify these @#$%&!& detached
> > signatures.  I shouldn't really clutter up this list with this any
> > further.
>
>   Now you're just getting nasty. What makes you think you're the only one
> with a "real-world job function"? There's plenty of folk tackling this
> situation you have, on their own, and sticking with it, who also have job=
s.
> Hell...*I* have absolutely no experience doing admin work, but since I'm
> the *only* person that uses this home system with SuSE 8.2 on it, I had to
> figure out how to get the opengpg plug-in to work on my kmail by
> myself...and a few questions in an SuSE mailing list. One thing no one
> seemed to know about (including myself of course), was that I was always
> trying to make the plug-in 'active', plus I'd never typed in a 'name' (all
> this in the kmail security setup section, gui), so I tried once more with=
> name and didn't activate it...HA! I now have openpgp compatibility. (I was
> rather proud of myself for doing it on my own, heh)
>
>   John

Wasn't trying to be nasty.  Just tired and frustrated.

This is a transcript of the test with gpg-agent used.  It invoked pinentry-=
qt=20
which I gave the passphrase to and it obviously passed it to gpg.  Starting=
=20
kgpgcertmgr still crashes.

$ echo "test" | gpg -ase -r 0x545A095F | gpg

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Paradigm-Omega, LLC (Master) <paradigm-omega@paradigm-omega.com>"
1024-bit DSA key, ID 545A095F, created 2003-06-15

gpg: forcing symmetric cipher TWOFISH (10) violates recipient preferences

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Paradigm-Omega, LLC (Master) <paradigm-omega@paradigm-omega.com>"
4096-bit ELG-E key, ID B2DD65F4, created 2003-06-15 (main key ID 545A095F)

gpg: NOTE: cipher algorithm 10 not found in preferences
gpg: encrypted with 4096-bit ELG-E key, ID B2DD65F4, created 2003-06-15
      "Paradigm-Omega, LLC (Master) <paradigm-omega@paradigm-omega.com>"
test
gpg: Signature made Thu 10 Jul 2003 08:15:59 PM PDT using DSA key ID 545A09=
5F
gpg: Good signature from "Paradigm-Omega, LLC (Master)=20
<paradigm-omega@paradigm-omega.com>"

Also when trying to use it, I get:

This message could not be signed!
The Crypto Plug-In '/usr/local/lib/cryptplug/gpgme-openpgp.so' reported the=
=20
following details:
#19 : No Passphrase
Your configuration might be invalid or the Plug-In damaged.

And of course, as long as use gpg-agent is in the config, I can't enter a=20
passphrase "the old-fashioned" way.

=2D --=20
Robin Lynn Frank | Director of Operations | Paradigm-Omega, LLC
=A9 2003 Paradigm-Omega, LLC.  All rights reserved. Unauthorized
reproduction or dissemination is prohibited.  If the PGP signature is missi=
ng,=20
please forward it to  security@paradigm-omega.com. Incoming mail with S/MIM=
E=20
or detatched PGP Signatures will be considered unsigned.