how to send an encrypted and signed message from the command line most efficiently without using keyrings

Neil Williams linux@codehelp.co.uk
Mon Jul 14 20:26:03 2003

--Boundary-02=_cZvE/7sG+EdOPDL

On Monday 14 Jul 2003 5:57 pm, Ralf Hauser wrote:
> I manage the keys in a database outside gpg's keyrings. What is the best
> format to hand them over to the gpg executable armoured or binary?

I too use a database to hold keys, but I found it useful to have a keyring =
so=20
that keys could be more easily updated from keyservers (revoked keys, new=20
expiry dates etc.) Are you sure that a keyring wouldn't be worth it?=20

It's just another form of storage - I now keep the keyid in the database an=
d=20
the key in a keyring because it's more efficient. No secret keys are requir=
ed=20
for the encryption, (signatures aren't used in my case), Perl (or PHP with=
=20
safe mode off) can access gpg and the keyring via that. Ownership/permissio=
n=20
problems can be overcome if the keyring is kept above the / folder of the=20
public area and suitable settings about warnings added to the gpg conf.

Just my 2p.

=2D-=20

Neil Williams
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D